Answered By: Kristen Koob Last Updated: Aug 02, 2018 Views: 3
Answered By: Kristen Koob
Last Updated: Aug 02, 2018 Views: 3
These are generally good rules to follow when naming directories and files:
- Avoid using special characters: \ / : * ? “ < > | [ ] & $ , .
- Use underscores instead of spaces or periods.
- Try to avoid long names and be as brief as possible.
- The name should be as descriptive as possible (in case it is moved).
- Include dates (i.e. YYYYMMDD) and times (i.e. hhmmss).
- Be consistent.
If you need to rename many files, try using a file naming application such as:
See more at Harvard Library's Guide to Data Management